On Rosemary Green, Eastville, BS5 6LB.
Residents of East Park Estate are to unveil a memorial to more than 4,000 men, women and children who died in Eastville’s notorious Workhouse between 1851 and 1895 and were buried in unmarked paupers’ graves in what is now Rosemary Green.
A six foot Welsh slate standing stone, carved by local stone mason and sculptor Matthew Billington using designs from pupils of May Park Primary School, will be erected on the disused burial ground which has remained unmarked for over 150 years. It is adjacent to the site of the Workhouse, which is now largely covered by housing and a primary school.
The standing stone is the centrepiece of a project which will eventually include a memorial garden and a historical plaque at the original gates of Eastville Workhouse at 100 Fishponds Road, now the entrance to the new East Trees Health Centre.
Among those taking part in the unveiling ceremony will be residents of East Park Estate who have campaigned for many years to improve facilities for children in the area, family historians whose ancestors were buried in Rosemary Green, pupils from May Park Primary School who have contributed to the project and researchers from Bristol Radical History Group.
[map id=”map” w=”604″ h=”400″ z=”16″ scale=”true” lat=”51.4697747″ lon=” -2.5570988″ maptype=”HYBRID” marker=”yes” markerimage=”https://www.brh.org.uk/logos/marker.gif” infowindow=”Gadshill Scout Hut” infowindowdefault=”no”]